Healthcare apps for patients are widely used nowadays by both: patients of the hospitals to get the instant connection with their doctors or by common folks to get their blood, heartbeat, etc. rated. The Medical world is literally sieged by various health-oriented software development projects.
Origins of smart healthcare
The very first healthcare app that was enlisted for scientific medical verification was the software that helps to restore the eyesight. In the article published it was mentioned that its actual value is proven but at that exactly time Federal Trade Commission didn’t feel that way. The first approved medical software turned out to be healthcare apps using to detect melanoma. The idea was to take a picture of your mole or a birthmark and send it to the specialists. In case doctors thought that this is a case worth paying a visit they would contact the person.
The mentioned above examples of medical software need a detailed explanation. Let’s dig into.
The whole creation of healthcare apps for patients was boosted by the inability of less fortunate folks hit private doctors’ offices. As you know, a visit to a practitioner is quite expensive. One more reason is that senior citizens, the aging part of the society needs more attention from the caregivers and being pensioners they couldn’t afford quality treatment anymore.
At the same time, apps cost nothing and are easy for download from Google Market or App store. Doctors keep mentioning that patients are constantly asking about different apps and their application, so it indicates again the growing interest in medical software development generally. The hospital staff is actually excited about the variety of healthcare apps for patients as it facilitates the communication with them and helps patients become more responsible for their own health.
Kinds of healthcare apps
- Database search oriented apps when patients are interested in some specific information or practice. Scientific medical journals, articles, and other data are provided.
- Healthcare apps based on calculations of different parameters. Some deal with blood pressure measurement. The interesting fact about it is the patients’ belief that regular blood pressure measurement at home is better than doing the same at the doctor’s office because sometimes during the personal consultation the pressure may rise involuntarily. Other apps are doing more than one parameter, for example, they could measure blood, sugar, cholesterol, etc. and estimate the possibility of heart attack or stroke.
- Healthcare apps fulfilling management functions. They let taking notes; create plan goals, score risks, and gaps. The apps oriented at losing weight could be included into this classification.
- Training healthcare apps. The aim of this software is to train patients on how to use the correct dosage of medical pills and control the frequency of its consumption. The majority of such apps are supplied with the visual core. These are images of how medication looks like and explanations on the dosage given.
- Controlling apps that collect rheumatology data and generate different kinds of reports, including the longitudinal ones.
- And of course, there is a great majority of communicative healthcare apps. Some hospitals are even switching to the system when they create ambulatory teams: two physicians, a pharmacist, two social workers and two nurses and also a health coach. If smart healthcare technologies are provided such group could serve up to 70 patients a day.
Usually, healthcare apps have intuitive and quite interactive GUI so patients became fully aware of what is happening to their body, organs, and physic generally.
Main functions of healthcare apps
- The smart standard applied to electronic health record system and data management improves the quality of healthcare, supports staff, caregivers and inspires patients.
- The medical software enables new capabilities and helps to visualize risks, process medical data, including clinical ones, a sensor provided information and the reports from the patients.
- Smart healthcare software could reshape the medical practices we know in one night. But at the same time, the software alone without doctor’s guidance and explanation couldn’t be of much help as well.
Recent trends in smart healthcare:
- More and more hospitals and private practitioners are cutting out their budget to order medical software development. Thus 3 out of 4 facilities expect to increase their spending in this field.
- 9 out of 10 administrators, doctors or dentists consider healthcare apps to be the main component of their practices.
- 3 out of 4 healthcare providers believe that medical software will grow its presence in the modern world of smart healthcare.
- 85% of caregivers are using their mobile phones or tablets to get access to patients’ data nowadays.
- 4 out of 10 facilities have already introduced a comprehensive mobility policy in place.
- Over 80% of care receivers are using healthcare apps for patients or get medical advice through telemedicine.
At the same time not all trends are positive, though:
- Over 90% of medical facilities faced personal patients’ data leakage in the last 2 years.
- 75% of institutions are still not making any attempts to protect sensitive patients’ data.
- 30% of healthcare facilities don’t give patients and guests access to local WiFi due to the risk of a hacker attack.
One of the mobile healthcare applications developed by VironIT is CaptureProof. It is an app that helps patients to communicate with doctors online. A user shares with a shot of his sore or injury, showing his health status in progress, and publishes the shot on CaptureProof. The doctors see the shots and give the user a comment. Special camera functions as an overlay, computer vision with shadows and overexposure settings help the doctor to define the disease stage correctly. Moreover, doctors can improve their knowledge, exploring and comparing the shots and then discussing them with colleagues.
Please, rate my article. I did my best!
Stay tuned. Monthly digest of the best stories.