Joshua is crowdsourcing translation application that covers more than 100 languages. This application goes beyond the basic functions and allows three different input methods: keyboard, voice and camera. Users can set different settings and save all searched words or phrases in a history panel in order to return to them in the future.
Joshua runs on iOS, Mac, Windows, Windows Phone and Android.
- Image translation. User can take a picture from phone camera and translate it directly to any language. The app will recognize the text from picture and translate it automatically. It’s perfect for translating street signs, books, menus and everything readable. Thanks to its features, it can continuously translate in only seconds.
- Web page translation. This service enables users to translate the content of a web page into a different language. Open a web browser, in the text box type in the entire URL of the website you want to view and choose the language you want to see the website in. Click Translate.
- An another impressive feature is offline support. Joshua has a dozen of downloadable dictionaries and developers are working to add more in the near future. It’s very useful when you travel to another country where having a data connection is a luxury.Real-time chat translation.
Real-time chat translation has 4 modes:
- Pocket Translator. If you find yourself face to face with someone who speaks a different language, you can use Joshua to translate both languages as they are spoken so both parties know what’s going on.
- Earpiece language translator. Using the latest technologies in speech recognition, machine translation and the advances of wearable technology, this mode allows users to speak different languages but still clearly understand each other. Simply put, when one person speaks, the other hears it in their language on their set of earphones.
- Two Phones. This mode allows communication via messages for Bluetooth-enabled devices and translates them on the fly.
- Conference. This mode extends the Two Phones mode and enables many users to exchange messages in different languages.
Tools and Technologies used: Node.js, Shell scripts, C language, Mobile, iOS.