Dot Net developer: What he does
What is dot NET?
Dot Net framework is a special software environment developed by Microsoft Corporation that allows creating, running, and deploying various types of applications including web apps, web services, console apps, service-oriented apps, etc. The programs written for .NET framework are executed in a software environment (rather than in a hardware environment), which represents a virtual machine (Common Language Runtime, CLR) that takes care of application security, exception handling, and memory management. Another part of dot NET (Framework Class Library, FCR) is concerned with a user interface, database and network connectivity, development of web applications, cryptographic services, etc.
Dot NET is intended to be a universal framework to be used for development of software applications on Windows platforms.
What are ‘dot NET’ pros and cons?
- Convenient for development of large-scale web applications as it allows to reduce the quantity of code written.
- Can be used across platforms – supports Linux and MacOS with the help of third-party software.
- Visual Studio is an all-in-one IDE for .Net development – design, development, debugging, and deployment can all be driven in a single window.
- Multiple language support – different parts of the program can be written using different programming languages, which helps create higher quality products by picking the language that best meets the needs of a particular task.
- Granular security – level of security can be specified on a per-method basis giving a lot of flexibility and control over behavior of different functional elements of an application.
- Just-in-time-compilation approach makes managed code more susceptible to reverse-engineering than native code, thus raising certain security concerns. However, this issue is easily and efficiently resolved by applying obfuscation, so it’s just a matter of paying attention to this aspect of development.
- The application developed for dot NET may require more system resources to run smoothly.
- Occasional delays may occur due to the launch of garbage collection scheduled to clear up memory.
What does that mean for developers?
- Object-oriented paradigm requires less code and thus increases the productivity of a dot net developer.
- Debugging becomes more convenient due to the use of Runtime diagnostic tools saving time and nerves to the developer.
- Support for both static and dynamic, as well as both managed and native code gives room for creativity and experiments and equips the net developer with a rich toolset to tackle any goal in front of them with confidence and optimism.
- Tried-and-true reusable libraries, components, and chunks of code can be called multiple times from multiple points in the application thus preventing multiple reinventions of the wheel.
- Since multiple languages are supported, it is easier to start dot net programming as previous programming experience is likely to come in handy, which in turn will speed up onboarding on a new project and cut the learning curve.
When is ‘dot NET’ suitable?
As with most Microsoft software packages and application, .NET Development Platform will deliver the biggest benefits to enterprise-level customers. Here are the key peculiarities .NET brings to the table:
- Scalability and reliability – .NET solutions will effortlessly grow at the pace of your business while maintaining top-notch security and stability.
- Fully-fledged solution – .NET is an entire universe sharing consistent and robust programming model across numerous platforms. All types of applications for all types of devices (desktops, tablets, smartphones) can be built in one place using the common set of tools.
- Cloud support – .NET offers unparalleled opportunities for businesses to be deployed in the cloud. Windows Azure system enables clients to have their applications run and managed in public or private clouds increasing performance, accessibility, and durability.
- Business orientation – there are hardly any limitations on the types of solutions that can be built within .NET framework. Whether you are thinking of a tailor-made customer relationship management (CRM) or enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, whether you want a sleek website or a mobile application, whether you want these to be ultra-reliable or extra-fast – it all can be accomplished in .NET.
- Connectivity – business solutions rarely exist in vacuum, most of the time they interact with other applications, sources of data, etc. .NET features an extensive collection of flexible data access components that promote interoperability between applications to a qualitatively new level.
.NET framework is a solid foundation for nearly any possible business problem. Its developer-friendliness, versatility, security, and adaptability make it a preferred choice for completely different sorts of applications, while its reach arsenal of tools and features contributes to making the development and operation routines as smooth as possible.
Please, rate my article. I did my best!
Stay tuned. Monthly digest of the best stories.